Freedom residents lose power in ice storm
Several in the Freedom area lost electrical power for a time and broken tree limbs will require cleanup work. Woods County survived the ice storm well...
Freedom town election will be April 4
The filing period for positions on the Freedom Town Board will be Feb. 6 – 8, with the election scheduled for April 4 in the event competitive races develop. Interested candidates need to file at the Woods County Election board in Alva. At the...
Annual trophy auction benefits FFA
Freedom FFA officers serve the meal at the annual trophy auction. The menu included pulled-pork sandwiches, baked beans, corn salad and dessert. The auction raised over $14,000 and will be used to...
Arkansas Senate panel OKs medical pot launch delay
LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (AP) — An Arkansas Senate committee has advanced legislation to delay the launch of the state's voter-approved medical marijuana program and a proposal to ease a restriction for doctors of eligible patients. The Senate Public...
Alabama man suspected in Kansas kidnapping, robbery arrested
EMPORIA, Kan. (AP) — Authorities say an Alabama man suspected in a kidnapping and robbery in eastern Kansas has been arrested after fleeing from law enforcement in a stolen pickup truck. The Lyon County, Kansas, sheriff's office said in a news...
Attorney: Kansas state treasurer neutral on loan proposal
TOPEKA, Kan. (AP) — An attorney for Kansas State Treasurer Ron Estes says Estes is remaining neutral on a key proposal from Republican Gov. Sam Brownback for balancing the state's current budget. Treasurer's office General Counsel Scott Gates...
Salina gives initial approval to tax funding for downtown
SALINA, Kan. (AP) — The Salina City Commission has given initial approval to authorizing special tax funding for a multimillion dollar redevelopment project in downtown Salina. The commission voted Tuesday night on first reading to authorize $154...
Kobach asks lawmakers for power to toss local, state votes
TOPEKA, Kan. (AP) — Kansas Secretary of State Kris Kobach wants the Legislature to give him authority to bar potentially tens of thousands of people from casting votes in state or local races, a move that comes after federal and state rulings...
Kansas Supreme Court to hear abortion case March 16
TOPEKA, Kan. (AP) — The Kansas Supreme Court will hear arguments March 16 in a case challenging a law that bans a second-trimester abortion procedure. The Lawrence Journal-World reports (http://bit.ly/2jowGmk ) two doctors have challenged a 2015...
Wichita man pleads guilty in drug-deal shooting death
WICHITA, Kan. (AP) — A 19-year-old Wichita man will be sentenced March 3 for killing another man in a drug deal gone wrong. Andrew Scott Bull pleaded guilty Wednesday to voluntary manslaughter in the shooting death of 23-year-old Charles Hawkins...
Student health insurance rates to increase next school year
TOPEKA, Kan. (AP) — After two years without increases, student health insurance premiums will go up more than 5 percent at state universities next year. The Kansas Board of Regents on Wednesday approved a 5.2 percent premium increase for all...
Kansas legislators leery of budget fix yet moving toward it
TOPEKA, Kan. (AP) — Kansas legislators on Wednesday slammed Gov. Sam Brownback's accounting move to mask a hole in the state budget, then signaled they may approve it anyway. The House and Senate budget committees began their review Wednesday of...
Agents investigate traffic-stop shooting in Harmon County
GOULD, Okla. (AP) — Authorities say a sheriff's deputy in western Oklahoma opened fire on a man during a traffic stop, but no one was seriously hurt. The Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation says the shooting happened Tuesday near Gould, or...
Oklahoma football player arrested on Texas robbery charge
WACO, Texas (AP) — Police say an Oklahoma football player has turned himself in after authorities issued an arrest warrant for aggravated robbery in his Texas hometown of Waco. Waco police Sgt. Patrick Swanton says 19-year-old Parrish Cobb was...
Oklahoma shocks No. 7 West Virginia 89-87 in overtime
MORGANTOWN, W.Va. (AP) — Kristian Doolittle scored six of his 12 points in overtime and Jordan Woodard's layup with 2.2 seconds left lifted Oklahoma to an 89-87 victory over No. 7 West Virginia on Wednesday night. Woodard scored 18 of his 20...
Stanford's performance tops online poll
DURANT, Okla. (Jan. 18, 2017) – McKenzie Stanford's magnificent performance last Thursday at Arkansas-Fort Smith continues to draw attention to the Oklahoma Christian women's basketball standout. Stanford's 31-point, 18-rebound outing in the loss...
Going bananas? Israeli zoo scrambles to find missing monkey
JERUSALEM (AP) — Israel's largest zoo is scrambling to find a monkey who swung out of a tree and escaped from the wildlife park near Tel Aviv. The "Safari," located in the adjacent city of Ramat Gan, is asking the public to help find Kuner, a...
Dismembered deer carcasses remain a mystery in Ohio
NEW FRANKLIN, Ohio (AP) — Police in northeast Ohio have no leads in solving a Friday the 13th mystery involving the dumping of several dismembered deer carcasses alongside a road. The Akron Beacon Journal reports (http://bit.ly/2jSTIAt ) the...
Missing hunter located in Alabama jail
ATHENS, Ala. (AP) — Searchers spent time looking for a missing hunter in north Alabama until officers realized he was actually in jail. Relatives of 50-year-old Randy Keith Holt of Hartselle reported the man missing Monday afternoon after he...
- Video of giant alligator draws crowds to Florida preserve
- Driver clocked at 91 mph in snowstorm wanted new car stereo
- Foreclosed mall once valued at $190M is auctioned for $100
- Raccoons recover at California zoo after cross-country ride
- Exiting rail safety chief looks to technology to save lives
- Federal study on Dakota Access pipeline to move forward
- Finally, an explanation of strange African 'fairy circles'?
- Study finds global warming could steal postcard-perfect days
- World's primates facing extinction crisis, new report says
- Earth sets hottest year record for third-straight time
- States argue in court for more say over endangered species
- Flabby heart keeps pumping with squeeze from robotic sleeve
- After inmate's death, lawmakers pledge mental health reform
- Price tries to reassure on health care; Dems not buying it
- How to improve your sex life without breaking the bank
- Woman who sought kidney on Craigslist gets it from mother
- AP-NORC Poll: Americans of all stripes say fix health care
- ExxonMobil plans major expansion of New Mexico operations
- Fracking disclosure rule challenged in Montana court
- Critical federal approvals for massive Wyoming wind project
- Electric vehicle charging stations planned for Utah
- In Wyoming, DeVos gun remark more about safety than politics
- AP Source: Trump picks former Ga. Gov. Perdue to lead USDA
- A half-century later, questions cloud Boston Strangler case
- For driverless cars, a moral dilemma: Who lives or dies?
- AP Explains: The African leader who refuses to leave
- Unending vigil for S. Koreans camped near sex-slave statue
- In break with Trump, EPA pick says climate change isn't hoax
Menus for the week of Jan. 12–20
Breakfast Menu for Freedom Public School Thursday – Breakfast burrito or cereal, yogurt, fruit, juice Friday – Biscuit and gravy or cereal, yogurt, fruit, juice Monday – French toast sticks or cereal, bacon, yogurt, fruit, juice Tuesday –...
Freedom school calendar
Thursday, Jan. 19: High School basketball tournament at Buffalo Friday, Jan. 20: High School basketball tournament at Buffalo Saturday, Jan. 21: High School basketball tournament at Buffalo Monday, Jan. 21: 4 p.m. Elementary basketball vs...