By Trevor Brown
Oklahoma Watch 

Calculating Oklahoma's efficiency gap


January 5, 2017

To calculate the efficiency gap for legislative elections in 2014 and 2016, Oklahoma Watch compiled the total votes cast for each district’s Republican and Democratic candidates, plus the total combined vote.

For uncontested races, a total vote number was assigned based on the average total votes cast in contested races. The party that didn’t field a candidate in the race was then given 25 percent of the votes and the party with the uncontested candidate received the remaining 75 percent.

The creators of the efficiency-gap method note that accounting for uncontested races is one of the...

For access to this article please sign in or subscribe.


Reader Comments(0)


Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2023