Softball Sweeps Doubleheader at Arkansas Tech on Tuesday; Humes Throws One Hitter
April 5, 2017
RUSSELLVILLE, Ark. – The 6th-ranked Harding softball team moved its winning streak to 27 games on Tuesday after defeating Arkansas Tech in Great American Conference action 4-3 (9 innings) and 1-0.
The Lady Bisons improve to 35-3 on the season and 25-1 in the GAC. With a Southern Arkansas loss at home against Arkansas-Monticello, Harding took a three-game lead in the GAC standings. Arkansas Tech falls to 24-14 overall and 18-8 in the GAC.
Game One Key Innings (#6 Harding 4, Arkansas Tech 3 – 9 innings)
- Madi Trump gave Harding a 1-0 lead in the second when she singled in Kimmy Hendricks-Campbell.
- The Lady Bisons took a 3-0 lead in the third on two hits and an error. Peyton Mills scored the first run on an error and Brookelynn Moon singled in Kimmy Hendricks-Campbell.
- Arkansas Tech got a run back in the third when Jalissa Gum hit a single up the middle for the RBI.
- The Golden Suns tied the game 3-3 in the sixth when Janie Knowles hit a single to left center that scored two runs.
- After two scoreless innings, Kimmy Hendricks-Campbell broke the tie in the ninth when she hit a double down the left field line to score Peyton Mills from second.
Game One Key Statistics
- Harding had seven hits with Peyton Mills and Madi Trump each having two.
- Arkansas Tech had nine hits and three errors in the game. Cara Tolar went 3-for-4 to lead Arkansas Tech.
- Autumn Humes came in and pitched 3 1/3 innings of relief for the Lady Bisons and got the win. She didn't give up a hit and struck out six. Humes improves to 16-1 on the season.
- Hannah Johnson started the game for Harding and pitched 5 2/3 innings. She gave up nine hits and two earned runs and struck out four.
- Jalissa Gum received the loss and falls to 11-7 overall. She pitched 5 1/3 innings, gave up five hits, four earned runs and struck out eight.
Game Two Key Innings (#6 Harding 1, Arkansas Tech 0)
- Harding scored the only run in the game in the second inning off two hits and an error. Madi Trump hit a single up the middle to score Brookelynn Moon from second. It was Trump's 21st RBI of the season.
Game Two Key Statistics
- Harding had five hits led by Courtney Derrick who went 2-for-3.
- Arkansas Tech only had one hit in the game and it came in the first inning.
- Autumn Humes got the win for Harding to improve to 17-1 on the season. She threw her eighth shutout of the season and her 16th complete game. She gave up the one hit and struck out 10. It was the fourth time this season she has struck out 10 or more batters. It was also her second game this season to throw a one hitter.
- Cara Tolar received the loss and falls to 2-3 on the season. She gave up five hits, no earned runs and struck out three.
- Harding will wrap up its four-game series against Arkansas Tech on April 18 in Searcy.
- The Lady Bisons will travel to Ada, Oklahoma this weekend to take on East Central in GAC action. The four-game series will get underway on Friday at 2 p.m.