Autopsy report confirms veteran's cause of death in Oklahoma
May 12, 2017
TALIHINA, Okla. (AP) — A 70-year-old dementia patient at a state-run veterans home died from choking on a plastic trash bag, an autopsy confirmed.
Leonard Smith, 70, was a living in a special-needs unit at the Oklahoma Veterans Center in Talihina, the Tulsa World reported (http://bit.ly/2qbeeCq ).
On Jan. 31, He choked to death after being given food, fluids and medication. A medical provider later found that Smith had a plastic bag lodged deep in his throat.
Oklahoma State Department of Health investigators determined that the facility "failed to provide sufficient staff" to protect Smit...