WOMEN'S BASKETBALL OPENS SEASON WITH 86-49 VICTORY
November 12, 2017
RUSSELLVILLE, Ark. – Five Arkansas Tech players registered double-figure points in leading the Golden Suns (1-0) to a convincing 86-49 season-opening non-conference victory over Lane (0-1) this Sunday afternoon at Tech's Tucker Coliseum.
HOW IT HAPPENED
• Arkansas Tech jumped out to a 17-1 lead six minutes into the contest and led by 21 points (28-7) after the first quarter with senior forward Cheyenne North's 10 points leading the way.
• The Golden Suns' extended their lead to 30 points at 42-12 with under two minutes remaining in the second quarter on a three-pointer by sophomore guard Taylor Leighton.
• Tech, which led 44-17 at the half, came out in the third quarter on 10-3 run to go up by 34 points (54-20) at the 6:49 mark and would go on to hold a 37-point advantage at 68-31 of the quarter following a half-court bucket by freshman guard Jacie Higgins at the buzzer.
• Tech took its largest lead of the contest at 46 points (79-33) midway through the fourth quarter on freshman guard Ashley Breathitt's layup with 5:17 to play.
• Cheyenne North and freshman guard Ke'vonshaye Stackhouse paced Tech in scoring with 13 points apiece while freshman guard Jayana Sanders netted 12 points in just 11 minutes of action as all but one of the 11 Golden Suns who played scored at least a point.
• The Golden Suns' bench outscored Lane by 24 points (36-12) led by junior guard Taylor Ely's 11 points and Jacie Higgins with 10.
• Tech recorded a commanding 16-2 points advantage in fast-break points and posted a 16-7 margin in second-chance points.
• Junior forward Lyrik Williams grabbed a game-high 11 rebounds and sophomore forward Ryann Goodsell grabbed eight boards as Tech posted a 56-32 rebounding advantage.
• Tech extended its season-opening winning streak to 10 straight and is now 33-8 in season openers since the 1977-78 season. The Golden Suns have now posted victories over Lane in their last three seasons openers, which included an 82-62 home win in the 2015-16 season (11/14/15) and an 81-51 triumph in 2016-17 (11/12/16).
• The Golden Suns have prevailed in their last 11 home openers to date.
• Forward Lakeiya Lane was the lone Lane player to reach double figures in scoring with a game-high 16 points.
• The Golden Suns open Great American Conference (GAC) action this upcoming Thursday, Nov. 16 versus the East Central Tigers in Ada, Okla. A 5:30 p.m. start is scheduled for the matchup at ECU's Kerr Activities Center and the game will be carried live on 102.3 FM (KCJC) in Russellville with Sam Strasner calling the action.