Dutoit steps down from Royal orchestra amid sex allegations
January 11, 2018
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — Charles Dutoit has stepped down as artistic director and principal conductor of the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra following multiple allegations of sexual assault, the orchestra said Wednesday.
The renowned conductor's departure had been scheduled for October 2019, but the London-based orchestra said in a statement that his departure was effective immediately. The decision, made jointly with Dutoit, followed an emergency board meeting and ongoing dialogue with the conductor, according to the statement.
Multiple symphonies distanced themselves from the 81-year-old Dutoi...