District band contest at Northwestern on Feb. 28
February 25, 2018
Northwestern Oklahoma State University will play host to the Oklahoma Secondary School Activities Association (OSSAA) band contest on Wednesday, Feb. 28, starting at 8:20 a.m. in Herod Hall Auditorium.
The performances are free and open to the public.
Seventeen schools from Oklahoma, their directors, and the approximate times and order they will perform are:
• 8:20 a.m. – Medford High School Band, Katherine Flaherty, director
• 8:40 a.m. – Waukomis High School Band, Sean Newman, director
• 9:00 a.m. – Okeene High School Band, Meagan Stufflebeam, director
• 9:20 a.m. – Pond-Creek Hunter High School Band, Craig Engel, director
• 9:40 a.m. – Chisholm Middle School Band, Richard Stallcup, director
• 10:10 a.m. – Ringwood 6th-7th Grade Band, Kyle Stewart, director
• 10:30 a.m. – Woodward Middle School Band, Heather Turner, director
• 10:50 a.m. – Laverne High School Band, Joel Nichols, director
• 11:10 a.m. – Oklahoma Bible Academy High School Band (Enid), David Toelle, director
• 11:30 a.m. – Alva High School, Cara Bradt, director
• 1:00 p.m. – Pioneer-Pleasant Vale High School Band, Sherri Lohmann, director
• 1:20 p.m. – Deer Creek-Lamont High School Band, Jeffrey McReynolds, director
• 1:40 p.m. – Ringwood High School Band, Kyle Stewart, director
• 2:00 p.m. – Vici High School Band, Keegan Trimble, director
• 2:20 p.m. – Washington High School Band, Christopher Hall, director
• 2:40 p.m. – Watonga High School Band, Shane Johnston, director
• 3:10 p.m. – Kingfisher High School Band, Mandy Owens, director
Schools competing with solo pieces will perform throughout the day in the Fine Arts Building starting at 8:30 a.m.
Each band was able to select music pieces from a list compiled by OSSAA personnel.
Those receiving a “1” at district competition qualify for state competition.
For more information on this competition or Northwestern’s instrumental music program, contact Dr. Marc Decker, assistant professor of music and director of bands, at 580-327-8191 or [email protected]