Softball Sweeps Emporia State Monday
February 20, 2019
SEARCY – The Harding softball team swept both games of a doubleheader Monday against Emporia State. The Lady Bisons won 4-3 and 7-2. Harding was the visiting team in game one of the doubleheader because Emporia State was supposed to be the home team on Saturday in Arkadelphia when the game was postponed.
Harding improves to 8-2 on the season.
Emporia State falls to 2-9.
Game One Key Innings (Harding 4, Emporia State 3)
- Harding got on the board in the second inning when Briley Feringa hit a solo home run to center field. It was her first of the season.
- The Lady Bisons scored three runs on three hits in the third inning. Lauren Bazan, Briley Feringa and Amanda Fields each had a RBI in the inning.
- Emporia State got a run back in the fourth when Britanie Shepherd hit a double to left center that scored a run.
- The Hornets scored two more runs in the fifth off of two hits and a Harding error.
Game One Key Statistics
- Harding had seven hits, let by Briley Feringa and Kyndal Pirtle who each had two.
- Emporia State had six hits, led by Brittanie Shepherd who went 2-for-3.
- Kymberlyn Baldwin got the win for Harding in 2/3 innings of relief.
- Emma Dwyer picked up her fourth save of the season in 2 2/3 innings. She had four strikeouts.
- Montana Mesler received the loss for Emporia State and falls to 2-4 of the season.
Game Two Key Innings (Harding 7, Emporia State 2)
- After two and a half scoreless innings, Harding got on the board when Lauren Bazan grounded out to second that allowed Kyndal Pirtle to score.
- The Lady Bisons added another run in the fourth when Mason McCord grounded out to the short stop that allowed Allison Hyatt to score.
- Emporia State tied the game in the fifth scoring two runs on two hits and a Harding error. The Hornets stole home for the first run and then Kenzie Garvin singled in a run.
- Harding answered back in the bottom of the fifth scoring five runs on three hits and two errors. Five different Lady Bisons had a RBI in the inning.
Game Two Key Statistics
- Harding had eight hits led by Peyton Mills, Briley Feringa and Kyndal Pirtle who each had two.
- Emporia State had six hits led by Kenzie Garvin who went 2-for-4.
- Emma Dwyer picked up the win for Harding improving to 1-1 on the season. She threw three innings of relief and had two strikeouts.
- Mackenzie Thornton had the loss for Emporia State and falls to 0-1.
- Harding is set to host Southern Arkansas this weekend to open Great American Conference play. The four-game series is scheduled for Friday and Saturday but check HardingSports.com for any updates.