Alva Review-Courier -

By JONATHAN RILEY
Pittsburg Morning Sun 

The end of an era for southeast Kansas health care

 


FORT SCOTT, Kan. (AP) — Sisters of Mercy, a Catholic women's organization founded in Ireland in the 19th century, began providing health care in southeast Kansas with its establishment of the original 10-bed hospital in Fort Scott in 1886. One century and three decades later, by then officially managed by Mercy Health Foundation, Mercy Hospital Fort Scott had expanded to a 46-bed acute care facility serving not only Fort Scott but surrounding areas as well.

Then, late last year, Mercy announced the hospital would be closing at the beginning of February. For many in the community, the news...



For access to this article please sign in or subscribe.



 

Reader Comments
(0)

 
 

Our Family of Publications Includes:

Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2019