Alva Review-Courier -

Ranger Soccer opens conference play with a tie


October 1, 2021

Desiree Morehead

Forward Isabella McMillan (15) races to get the ball from the Southwestern player during Tuesday's game.

ALVA, Okla. – The Northwestern Soccer team continued their home stand on Tuesday as they opened conference play with a match against the Bulldogs of Southwestern Oklahoma State University. The Rangers and the Bulldogs went into double overtime here at Ranger Soccer Field.

The score was 0-0 as the Rangers move to 5-1-1, and 0-0-1 in GAC play on the season, and the Bulldogs 2-4-1 and 0-0-1 in conference play.

The Rangers came out ready to battle as they started conference play. The game went back and forth as the Rangers and the Bulldogs traded possession during the first half, neither team able to find a rhythm offensively. The Bulldogs out-shot the Rangers 8-5 with the Bulldogs having four shots on target and the Rangers having two.

The score was tied 0-0 going into half-time.

Both teams came out looking for a goal in the second half. The Rangers had seven shots in the second half, with only one being on target. Isabella McMillan had four shots on goal, two being on target. Abby Nunez, Callie Haneborg, and Gisselle Holguin all had three shots throughout the game.

Ranger goalkeeper Reagan Allen was faced with 18 shots, but only 12 were on target. After going through 110 minutes, Allen had a clean slate without allowing any goals being allowed for her second shut of the season.

The Ranger defenders held down their side of the field as they controlled the game defensively. The Rangers did not allow a goal throughout the second half. Center midfielder Lily Anderson had a couple great saves by heading the ball out on dangerous free kicks that were directed on target.

"It was a very hard-fought game tonight by both teams. Anytime you go down a player via red card it is very difficult. We are extremely proud of our team to persevere and overcome a lot of adversity to earn a point tonight," said coach Alex Piekarski.

Southwestern opened the first overtime with the ball looking to strike but the Rangers' defense continued to not allow much pressure as the Red-and-Black defense wouldn't allow a shot in the opening overtime. Northwestern had a couple scoring chances with two shots in the opening overtime.

In the second overtime, the teams traded shots, ending the second overtime each with one shot, but the result was the same with a 0-0 score.

Southwestern and Northwestern played to a draw to open conference play here in the 2021 season 0-0. The shutout is the Rangers' second of the season and the first tie against Southwestern since 2019 when the teams played to a 1-1 draw.

The Rangers' Thursday game was postponed due to rain. It has been rescheduled to Monday, Oct. 4, against the Tigers of East Central. The Tigers are currently 0-1 in conference. The game will be played at Rangers Soccer Field and kick off will be at 6 p.m.


Reader Comments(0)


Our Family of Publications Includes:

Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2021