Rangers fall in Shawnee 82-75 Saturday


January 21, 2022

Shawnee, Okla. – The Rangers fell Saturday afternoon to Oklahoma Baptist following a fast start to the second half for the Bison. Oklahoma Baptist used a 7-0 run to push their lead to 10 midway through the second half, using that run to control the rest of the game. The Rangers would go on to lose this game 82-75.

The Rangers were led by Larry White with 20 points, 14 rebounds, four blocks and two steals in a double-double effort. He was one of four Rangers in double figures as Malik Parsons finished with 14 points, Anthony Jones had 12, Brain Free 11 and Bubba Furlong 10. Furlong finished the game with a double-double as well with 10 rebounds.

The Bison jumped out to a quick 5-0 run over the Rangers following an offensive rebound put back. However, the Rangers answered right back, going on a 10-0 run to take their first lead of the game. The run was started by a Parsons layup followed by White and Free hitting jump shots before a Furlong layup going into the opening media timeout at 10-5.

Moody extended the run to 12 on two foul shots out of the break.

Harrison Stoddart of OBU knocked down a triple to bring the Bison back within one on a quick 5-0 run. The defenses locked in from there, forcing a 2 ½ minute scoring drought between both teams before a White layup, off a miss, broke the drought and put Northwestern back up by three right at the half point of the opening half. The Bison regained the lead at 15-14 over the Rangers at the 9:31 mark of the half. Anthony Jones knocked down two shots from the charity stripe to even the score back at 16-16. The game stayed tied until the 6:10 mark of the half as Putnam knocked down a jumper, bringing the Bison's lead back to two.

The defensive pressure between both teams continued as with three minutes left in the half there were 40 combined points with the Bison holding a 21-19 lead following a White basket off the rebound. Pruitt pushed the OBU lead back to six at 25-19. White with two more of his 10 first half points brought the deficit back down to one in the final minute of the half. Putnam gave the Bison a three point lead at the break hitting a jump shot in the final 10 second of the half.

Northwestern trailed 31-28 at the break as White led the team with 10 points and six rebounds.

Second Half

The two teams traded points in the early going of the second half. The Bison struck first with a Putnam layup before Furlong answered back a minute later with a layup of his own. A Larry White three put the Rangers back down by one point at 34-33 but Thompson answered back with a three of his own to put the Bison back up by four.

Neither team would score again until the 16 minute mark following a small scoring drought putting the Bison back in front 39-33. Jaquaan Simms extended their lead to double digits at 43-33 following a quick 7-0 run. Jalen Smith ended that run with a jump shot pushing the score to 45-37 at the first media timeout of the half.

At the halfway point of the half Oklahoma Baptist continued to hold a lead this one at nine with a 53-44 score following two foul shots. The two teams traded points for the next three minutes before Parsons scored the next nine points for the Rangers, helping get the deficit down to four at 62-58.

The deficit would stay at four all the way until 64-60 before Oklahoma Baptist pushed their lead back to seven at 74-67. Anthony Jones cut it back down to four at 74-70 but Oklahoma Baptist kept the Rangers out of reach as the comeback bid fell short 82-75 to the Bison Saturday.

Northwestern will look to bounce back this week with a trip to Searcy and Russellville, Arkansas, to take on Harding and Arkansas Tech.


Reader Comments(0)


Our Family of Publications Includes:


Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2024