Alva Review-Courier -

An elevator for Freedom

 

Freedom's Main Street scene, with its rustic buildings, hasn't changed much since the town relocated in 1918 to be next to the Buffalo & Northwestern Railroad line that was completed in May 1920 through Woods County from Waynoka to Buffalo. A 1920 photograph shows many of the same buildings, although Main Street is paved now and present-day cars and pickup trucks have replaced vintage vehicles.

The Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railroad bought the line July 1, 1920, but abandoned it in November 1982. Though there hasn't been rail service at Freedom for 40 years, many other businesses ha...



For access to this article please sign in or subscribe.

 

Reader Comments(0)

 
 

Our Family of Publications Includes:

Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2021